Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday Musings

Just a few random thoughts to begin the week...

I just had an interesting conversation with my son, who is seven years-old, concerning the prayers at Mass and why we worship within the framework of a structured liturgy:

Me: "If a priest makes up his own prayers and says them at Mass instead of what is written down, then who's prayer is it?"

Son: "The priest's prayer."

Me: "But if the priest reads the prayers that have been written and approved by the Church, and we all follow along with those same words, then who's prayer is it?"

Son: "The Church's prayer."

That is why we have liturgy - so that we can pray with the whole Church. You can come up with all kinds of fancy theological explanations (all of which might be correct), but it really comes down to something so simple that a child can understand.
 +        +        +

Speaking of kids and the liturgy, here's a joke I just read:

A little boy was listening to a long and excessively boring sermon in church. Suddenly the red sanctuary lamp caught his eye. Tugging his father's sleeve, he said, "Daddy, when the light turns green can we go?"

+        +        +

I seem to be back on track with writing. I have something more lengthy to post for tomorrow, and hopefully I will be able to get back to writing some reflections on the liturgy which I had planned for earlier in the summer. If all goes as planned I will also be reviewing a book and making a few changes to the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment