Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday Musings

A few random thoughts and ponderings to start the week...

The new musical arrangements for the Sanctus and the Gloria, which our parish has begun using in anticipation of the new Mass translation, are beginning to grow on me. But I'm afraid I still don't like them. For All Saints Day we simply chanted the Latin a cappella. As I said here previously, I really think we should try some kind of chant for the English... Just keep it simple. Why does everything we sing at Mass need musical accompaniment and clumsy melodies.

+        +        +

Our son turned eight recently. A friendly older couple, who seem to have adopted our kids as surrogate grand-kids, gave him a card with five dollars in it. The following week, after Mass, they asked what he spent his money on. We told them that he had donated it to St. Jude's children's hospital. He said, "Those kids need it more than I do." It goes without saying that our friends were impressed and we had a proud parent moment. :)

+        +        +

Apparently it has become fashionable in some circles to wear rosaries as jewelry, and I don't mean out of some sort of devotion, but as a fashion statement. I had read about this phenomenon recently, but over the weekend I saw some fashion "rosaries" for sale at the mall...tacky, gaudy, and in bad taste. I hope this fad passes quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment