Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday Musings

A few random thoughts and ponderings to start the week...


So I was thumbing through our hymnal at Mass on Sunday, trying to find the hymn that we were on (I was caught totally off-guard and it took me until well into the second verse to find the right page), when I came across hymn #666. Now I must admit that I have rather specific taste in church music. I have many times closed the book in silent protest when I hear a song that was published post-Vatican II that captures that "spirit of the age" that so many guitar-strumming folk artists have passed off as hymns in recent decades. So I was pleased to see that hymn #666 was exactly that type of song! I forget the title, but it was something about dancing with the Lord, and I think hand-clapping may have been mentioned more than once in the lyrics. Anyway, it was the perfect song to receive the designation 666. When I did finally find the correct song (O Sanctissima...in Latin!) I sang it with a smile on my face.

+        +        +

Speaking of O Sanctissima... Here's a great version for your listening pleasure (including pictures and the Latin text).

+        +        +

Since O Sanctissima is a hymn of the Blessed Virgin then in keeping with that Marian theme the picture of the week:



A couple of final thoughts: Keep in prayer this week those who were killed in the theater shooting in Colorado. Also remember farmers who have been affected by the drought.

No comments:

Post a Comment