Friday, August 17, 2012

This Week's Headlines

As another week comes to an end, this is your chance to top off your glass with a final helping of news, current events, and just plain interesting stuff that may not have made into the mainstream media. A chance to linger for a few more moments before we close the door on the week. Below are some links to articles, blogs, and miscellaneous happenings that caught my eye over the past few days. Sample what you like - I'll serve up more next Friday...

The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary -  "I once asked a college theology class if anyone could explain the doctrine of the Assumption.  A student replied, 'yeah, that’s the teaching whereby the Catholic Church "assumes" that Mary is in heaven.'"

What You Don't Know About the Assumption - [Well, some of it I'm sure is familiar to faithful Catholics, but it never hurts to review.]

A lot has been written about Catholic Paul Ryan joining the Romney ticket as his V.P. pick. Here's a roundup of some early pieces posted at the time of announcement.

And here are some pieces posted a few days later. Pay special attention to the issue of Ayn Rand and note that liberal Catholics are going to try to find ways throughout this campaign to disparage Ryam's faith.

[As you can imagine the election is going to come up quite a bit in these headlines from now until November. So stay tuned...]

Paul Ryan and the Catholic Vote - "It is little wonder, then, that Catholics turned out for Republicans in the 2010 'shellacking' in record numbers, and that new polling suggests they are turning out for Mitt Romney in 2012."

NOBama 2012: A Catholic Case for Romney - "I do not look at Romney as a man, but as a representative of the broad coalition of interests that support the GOP and resist the Democrats. I look at Obama in the same way, as a representative of an opposite coalition of interests that support the Democrats and resist the GOP. For better or worse, I believe the Church finds itself out of necessity in the GOP coalition."

Paul Ryan’s Bishop Defends Him Amid Attacks on His Application of Church Teaching - Says his bishop: "Since others have, I believe, unfairly attacked his reputation, I have to look out for his good name. That is Church law."

Dolan: Ryan Is a ‘Great Public Servant’ - "So I admire him. He’s honest. He’s refreshing. Do I agree with everything? No, but...I’m anxious to see him in action."

St. Maximilian Kolbe on income distribution - "There are, in fact, different kinds of work which are unequally productive; nor do all workers enjoy the same identical capacities. This leads to a diversity of results achieved, and consequently to differences in people’s profits."

Catholic Herald: The Church should make life harder for Catholics - "Now, while Catholics in other parts of the world are suffering and dying for their faith, we in this country are permitted to abandon things that were easy for things easier still." [Kudos to Fr. Z for finding this piece and posting it!]

Spiritual Growth Within a Catholic Family - "...every now and then, we see a shining moment — a defining moment – when one of our children chooses Christ – growing as Catholic Christians – by yielding more and more to Him."

Seven Point Checklist for Catholic Dads - "I have a long way to go, but I believe living up to the expectations below will keep me headed in the right direction."

Nigerian Woman Writes to Melinda Gates: We Don't Need Your Contraception - "I see this $4.6 billion buying us misery. I see it buying us unfaithful husbands. I see it buying us streets devoid of the innocent chatter of children. I see it buying us disease and untimely death. I see it buying us a retirement without the tender loving care of our children."

Concerning President Obama attending the Catholic fundraiser in New York at the invitation of Cardinal Dolan, I feel like both sides of this debate deserve to be heard: Dolan: Why I invited President Obama to the Al Smith Dinner and this: A Warning For The Cardinal But here's another take on it: The WWJD Stick

[Very busy this week. Not much time to read through articles for this week's round-up. Have anything to add? Feel free to post in the comments section.]

No comments:

Post a Comment