Monday, November 26, 2012

Monday Musings


 A few random thoughts and ponderings to start the week...

Last week I posted fewer entries in my Friday Headlines post than I had lately been posting. That will be the trend from here on out, since the election is now over and the post-election analysis is all but finished. the news cycle has certainly slowed down. I may settle on an exact number of articles (perhaps 10 or maybe 15 per week) to give Friday's some consistency.

+        +        +

Just a reminder... It is NOT Christmas! I know many people have already begun decking the halls for Christmas. I know that shopping centers, malls, and stores have been decorated for weeks. Downtown lighting ceremonies have already taken place. Black Friday is supposed to start the Christmas Season, but really it does NOT. Please keep Advent in Advent so that Christmas can be in it's proper place.

We have a cultural battle we are fighting on many fronts (life, family, morality, etc.). I know that Christmas decorating out of season seems like a small thing, but the more Christians can assert authentic Christian practices in the culture, the louder our voice becomes. If we can win at these little battles, we can gain strength for the larger battles. So, don't put up your tree yet. Don't turn on the Christmas lights. Just hold of...even if it's only for a couple more weeks. Make a statement. People may take notice and ask why. When they ask why, use that as an opportunity to share...and then share more than just decorating tips. It may open a few doors. This is bigger than just deciding when to decorate. It makes a statement of solidarity with the Church as opposed to solidarity with the world. And when others see our willingness to go against the popular trend, they may be drawn in to join with us, or at least give an honest listen to what we have to offer.

+        +        +

Speaking of Advent... I will be less able to blog during this Season. Hopefully, I will finish my posts on male-only priesthood and also some of my regular weekly posts, but I may miss a few here and there. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment