Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday Musings

A few random thoughts and ponderings to start the week...

I think I might have mentioned this here before, but the thought entered my head again this Sunday while at Mass: Since the introduction of the new Mass translation during this past Advent, the popular Mystery of Faith proclamation, "Christ has died; Christ has risen; Christ will come again," is no longer listed as an option in English language missals. Indeed, this option was never a part of the original Latin text and (in my opinion) should not have been introduced into our English Mass. It strikes me as bold and un-Catholic the way such additions and alterations were made to the liturgy post-Vatican II. To simply invent an option that did not exist before flies in the face of a true understanding of the ancient Liturgy.

The widespread use of this invented text was, to me, emblematic of the whole post-Conciliar era. It seems that everybody used this Mystery of Faith as their go-to option (many parishes I attended used it almost exclusively)...but nobody knew that is was a purely invented line that did not appear in the Latin. So too with many other liturgical inventions: everybody does it, because nobody knows that it should not be done.

I am grateful that the new Mass translation has served to tighten up our liturgical practices.

+        +        +

I recently had a conversation with some Protestant friends concerning Sola Scriptura...I plan to post some of what I said during that conversation in the form of a blog post in the coming days. Maybe that will kick-start my writing since I seem to be in a bit of slump.

+        +        +

This Sunday's Gospel told of the Apostle Andrew going to his brother, Simon (Peter), and telling him that he had "found the Messiah." Meanwhile, the Epistle reading mentioned purity of heart, and living a moral life. Our priest used these passages to point out the necessity of "fraternal correction." It is our duty to tell others about Jesus, and to bring them into a relationship with Him (as Andrew did), and a huge part of that evangelizing includes living a moral life and teaching others to do the same. We are called to be temples of the Holy Spirit (as the Epistle said) living our lives accordingly. If we are to bring others to Jesus, as Andrew brought Simon to the Lord, then we must teach others to live according to His commands. It was good to hear our priest speak so forcefully about fraternal correction, since the topic is often avoided in our "live-and-let-live" society.

No comments:

Post a Comment