Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday Musings

A few random thoughts and ponderings to start the week...

So, my unofficial and unscientific observations have told me that the new Mass translation has finally been sinking in for most Catholics. Nearly everyone gets the "And with your spirit" response, with a few stragglers who twist their tongues at the last minute when they catch themselves saying the old "And also with you." (I admit I've been guilty of that myself.) It seems that the Creed is followed pretty faithfully, with all of its changes. And the Sanctus and the Agnus Dei are easy enough to get right, especially when the choir takes the lead. But the one change that seems to throw people for a loop is: "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof..." For some reason everyone seems to freeze up. Usually, after a silent pause, a few people start to mumble through it and eventually everyone else catches on and finishes the response. But it looks like that one is going to be awkward for a few more weeks.

+        +        +

I had to go to Mass twice on Sunday... once in the morning at our church, and again in the afternoon at our house when our 8-year-old son said "Mass" in our basement. He and I built an altar out of cardboard boxes, complete with a tabernacle. I wrote a simplified 'Order of Mass' booklet for him to follow. And he used my wife's bathrobe and an old table cloth (cut to fit) as vestments. It was a twenty minute service, but reverently done... He faced the liturgical East, by the way. That was his decision - he designed the altar with that in mind. Next time we might introduce some Latin. ;)

+        +        +

I've been trying to keep up with regular blogging since I slacked off during Christmas. So far, so good. However, during Lent I do try to limit my time on the computer (as well as TV and other media devices). So bear with me... my blogging may suffer.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite response these days is “And also with your spirit”. Cute about your son; my oldest boy is 10. He would play Mass if it were some sort of video game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm... Video game Mass. There have been worse ideas. Somebody needs to get on that.

    ReplyDelete