Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday Musings

A few random thoughts and ponderings to start the week...

Don't forget that it is still Easter!! Be counter-cultural...embrace your Catholic culture... continue to celebrate the Easter Season even though the pop culture has packed it up and moved on. Find ways to keep the Season alive in your home. Set out candles to remind you that Christ is our light. (We use candles at meal times during the Easter Season to remind our kids - and us - of the Paschal Candle that is featured prominently at Mass during this liturgical time.) Leave out other reminders of Easter, decorative eggs, floral arrangements, what ever reminds you of Easter Sunday morning and keeps that memory fresh in your mind. Indulge in candy and treats! Don't follow the popular trends, don't leave Easter behind when we still have more time to celebrate. Bring the liturgical calendar into your home and celebrate it.

+        +        +

I've kind of left in limbo the "Male-Only Priesthood" series of posts that I was working on a few months ago. I never actually finishing them, although I have the material I was going to use for the last couple of posts. I'm thinking I may reboot the whole series - possibly start over with a re-write so that I can tighten them up a bit and give them a proper finish. Look for that in the near future.

+        +        +

Last year, before I purchased my new missal, I used my Android tablet with the iMissal app installed so that I could follow along at Mass. I felt a little awkward and tried to hide the fact that I was using an electronic device, because I was afraid to create any unnecessary distractions for people around me. This was especially true since we go to the early Mass where most of the congregation is elderly and may not know what I'm doing with a large glowing screen in my hands...

Well, I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore. A couple of weeks ago an older gentleman sitting across from us was using what looked like a Kindle Fire (or a similar device) to follow along with the readings. I suppose the new technology is beginning to catch on at our parish... and here I am back to using old fashioned books.

No comments:

Post a Comment